5 cups chopped broccoli florets (just a little less than 2 medium heads)
1 cup grated carrots
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves minced garlic
2 ounces cream cheese (I use Green Mountain Farms Greek Cream Cheese)
3 – 3 ½ cups chicken stock (or less if you like it a little thicker – your choice)
¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
1 tsp. dried oregano
12 ounces evaporated milk
8 ounce BLOCK of cheddar cheese – grated (Pre-shredded cheese doesn’t really work, so you’ll have to tough out the chore of grating it yourself.)
- Sauté the onions and carrots with olive oil until the onions become translucent
- Put the veggies, garlic, chicken stock, cream cheese, oregano, and nutmeg in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir it up real good, and turn that puppy on high for 2 hours, or low for 4-5 hours.
- After that part’s done, stir in the evaporated milk (is it just me, or are those cans ridiculously hard to open with an electric can opener?), then use an immersion blender to puree it until there are still some chunks of broccoli left, but it’s mostly soupy.
- Let it warm back up a little bit, then add salt, pepper, and grated cheese. Cook on high until the cheese is melted – which only took me about 1 minute.
- Season some more if you want, stir it, serve it along with some nice crusty bread or something like that. Just for fun, I also grated a little parmesan on the top – not bad.
Serves 4-6 folks