Happy International Pickle Day!! May 16, 2011
Oh my pickle, you’re so fickle,
But everyone loves you, so you’ve got some rules too.
No matter what they say, the best are Mom’s homemade
ah, childhood memories, those homecanned pickles were the Best I tell ya.
Did you know:
- In the state of Connecticut, in order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle, it must bounce. Plus, you may not sell a pickle that will fall apart if dropped 12 inches.
- In Trenton, New Jersey, it is illegal to throw a bad pickle in the street.
- In Rhode Island, it is illegal to throw pickle juice on a trolley.
- In some parts of the south, its illegal for women to eat pickles with their feet up on the porch railings!
- Pickles were mentioned at least twice in the Bible.
- The 57 on the Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.
- Aristotle praised their healing effects.
- Julius Caesar made his army eat them, maybe because…
- Cleopatras favorite food was pickles. She said they made her beautiful.
- John Lennons first girlfriend was named Thelma Pickles.
- And our first president George Washington loved pickles.