If you like somma dat Funk Soul Brother, definitely give Josh Charles a listen. Funky rhythms, bouncy beats, salty horns and powerfully smooth vocals. Huge NOLA influence and some really fancy fingers on the keys!
Gene Murrell and I (Lee Ann) sat down with the talented pianist, singer, songwriter Josh Charles in ZEW Lounge (he was en route to Paste Magazine for interview/performance video). His name may be new to you, but he has been out there for a bit now. He’s been featured on CBS, ABC, CNN, USA Today, Tavis Smiley… even participated in the President’s Inauguration (videos on his site www.joshcharlesmusic.com)
In this ZEW ‘getting to know you’ podcast, Josh discusses:
- ‘Healing Time’ the song inspired by Katrina’s devastation, that got him on the tv’s (100% proceeds go to recovery in NOLA);
- His well-respected, highly talented mentors (how you can get one too); Playing in New Orleans;
- Musical inspirations and style (he calls his ‘Notown’ a combo of two places; can you guess which two?);
- Twitter usage, friends he made on twitter (including Alysa Milano) and great tips to make ‘tweeting’ much more enjoyable.
- Josh also performs a couple tunes on the 88’s with fantabulous flair and depth.
If you’re JazzFesting, look for Josh, he’ll be playing somewhere.
Podcast runs nearly 30 minutes, hopefully, if I do this correctly, you can fastforward and rewind to the really good parts for you.
Lee Ann Waterrs
PS, will post another podcast of the ‘outtakes’ later later…